NEW YORK - That didn't take long.
Whiteville High School graduate MacKenzie Gore was drafted third by the San Diego Padres in Monday's Major League Baseball Draft.
Gore is an East Carolina University baseball recruit and was recently named the Gatorade High School Player of the Year both nationally and for North Carolina. Gore has not yet announced if he'll attend ECU or turn pro.
Gore was considered a top-five pick by several recruiting services. He was certainly worthy of those accolades after helping Whiteville win the Class 1-A state baseball title. This season, the 6-foot-2, 180-pound 18-year-old lefthander had a 9-0 record and a 0.22 ERA. He struck out 132 in 63.1 innings.
- Rare stem cell procedure performed to help local dog with kidney disease
- New Bern Board of Aldermen release new master parking plan
- Restaurants open on Thanksgiving
- Two Onslow County organizations partner to provide Thanksgiving meals
- Gingerbread houses for contest on display in downtown New Bern shops