GREENVILLE - East Carolina radio and television announcer Jeff Charles, who has provided the play-by-play call of Pirate athletics for the last 25 years, remains hospitalized after undergoing intestinal surgery.
East Carolina Director of Athletics Terry Holland issued the following statement:"Jeff and Debbie Charles are two very important and long-time members of the East Carolina University Athletics family. Debbie is keeping us informed on Jeff's progress. The best thing all good Pirates can do at this time is to keep Jeff and the Charles family in your prayers, just as members of the athletics department will be doing until Jeff is behind the microphone again. We all look forward to another 25 years with Jeff as the "Voice of Pirates."
As a respect of privacy during this difficult time, ECU will only release updates when permitted by family members.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Coast Guard searches for missing crew of capsized Swan Quarter fishing boat
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- Woman arrested for stealing mail, cashing check