DURHAM - Durham police have charged North Carolina leading scorer P.J. Hairston with marijuana possession following a traffic stop.
Police spokeswoman Kammie Michael says in an email that officers stopped Hairston at a license checkpoint Wednesday night. Police also charged passengers Miykael Faulcon and Carlos Sanford with marijuana possession. All three were released on $1,000 unsecured bonds.
Michael says Hairston was also charged with driving without a license.
UNC athletic spokesman Steve Kirschner says coach Roy Williams and athletic director Bubba Cunningham are aware of the incident. He says the school is working "to gather the facts" before issuing a statement.
The 20-year-old Hairston averaged 14.6 points, though he averaged 18 points and shot 40 percent on 3-pointers over the final 13 games after becoming a sophomore starter in a four-guard lineup.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend