GREENVILLE - A pair of East Carolina receivers, senior Justin Jones and sophomore Jabril Soloman, have been declared ineligible for the 2013 season according to an announcement from ECU head coach Ruffin McNeill Wednesday.
Jones will complete his career, which included a redshirt season in 2009, with 52 catches for 598 yards and 12 touchdowns in 32 games. He started five of 13 contests at the inside receiver and tight end positions as a junior last fall and posted a personal-best 25 receptions for 346 yards and three scores.
Soloman, who experienced action in 12 games as a true freshman a year ago, led the Pirates with a 24.1 yards-per-catch average (17-410) as an outside receiver.
"While the support system we have in place here has been of great benefit to our student-athletes, we unfortunately reached a point where we are unable to help Justin and Jabril retain their eligibility," McNeill said. "The expectations we have for everyone in our program are high, both on and off the field, and I'm disappointed whenever those aren't met or even exceeded."
East Carolina will open the 2013 season by hosting Old Dominion at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium on Aug. 31. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.
- Updated Women's golf tournament will stay at Trump-owned course -- for now
- Updated Self-driving truck hauls 51,744 cans of beer
- Updated Donald Trump says he will dramatically ramp up donations in final stretch of campaign
- Updated Administration pushes back on criticism of Obamacare rate hikes
- Updated Governor tours storm damage, celebrates openig of Neuse Sports Shop in Kinston