CHAPEL HILL - R.J. George threw for 171 yards and a touchdown Saturday to help Shelby beat Southwest Onslow 29-7 for the Class 2-A North Carolina High School Athletic Association championship.
George was named the game's most valuable player for the Golden Lions (12-4), who built a big first-half lead and never looked back.
Shelby also blocked three punts, with Antwan Wright's block in the second giving Shelby the ball at the 1 and setting up Chad Reid's short score to make it 27-7.
Shelby managed 192 total yards, while Southwest Onslow (12-4) had 223 and committed four turnovers.
Jonathan Williams threw a 44-yard touchdown pass to J'Veon Walker for the Stallions' only score midway through the first quarter. The Stallions won last year's 1-AA crown by beating Swain County.
It was Shelby's first finals appearance since 2007 and marked the school's sixth title since 1972.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- State natural, cultural sites and military discounts for Memorial Day