EASTERN CAROLINA - My first week covering HS football in North Carolina did not disappoint as a number of our local schools got 2014 kicked off the right way.
In our Premiere Matchup, Southwest Onslow used it's stingy defense to beat Jacksonville 28-6. First time Phil Padgetts Stallions have defeated the Cardinals in four years.
Meanwhile New Bern made the trip to Hillside and the Bears made a statement in their 12-0 victory. QB Mikey Hughes rushed for 130 yards and threw and caught a TD while the Bears defense forced six turnovers. West Cravens falls at home to Edenton Holmes 29-21.
Our area state champs came out swinging. Havelock won its 31st straight game, beating the Washington Pam-Pack 37-6. Meanwhile the defending 1A champs James Kenan won it's 17th straight with a 42-0 thumping of Southern Wayne.
No problem for the Greenville squads on the road as D-H Conley as they route North Pitt 42-7 while J-H Rose throttles Athens Drive 54-21.
Way too much fun. See you next week!
- New Havelock PD seeks person of interest in club stabbing
- New Seven Springs man ends up in ICU after fight with detention officers
- Suspects in animal cruelty case to appear in court Monday
- National Boat Safety Week encourages safety in the water
- Pitt County NAACP to hold meeting to discuss families, mental health