Garrett Young threw a 13-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Brock with 7:55 left to help East Lincoln beat Tarboro 24-20 in the Class 2-A North Carolina High School Athletic Association championship Saturday.
Young threw for 196 yards and two scores for the Mustangs (16-0), who won their first title in their second appearance in an NCHSAA final. Young was named the game's most valuable player.
Quentin Roberson ran for 203 yards and two scores for the Vikings (14-1), who were chasing their fourth straight state title.
Tarboro used third-quarter touchdown runs from Roberson and Travonne Marshall to take a 20-17 lead. But Young's scoring toss to Brock capped a 10-play, 80-yard drive that put East Lincoln up for good.
Tarboro drove to the East Lincoln 20-yard line in the final 2 minutes, but the Mustangs stopped Roberson on a fourth-down run to seal it.
- Updated Brooklyn's coolest hotels and hottest hangouts
- Updated Trump has 3,643 websites that range from TrumpEmpire.com to TrumpFraud.org
- Updated Snapchat Spectacles now for sale online
- Updated Angelina Jolie opens up about family after split with Brad Pitt
- Trump's promises hit Washington reality in first month