RALEIGH - J'Veon Walker had a 40-yard touchdown run and a 94-yard kickoff return for another score to lead Southwest Onslow to a 44-34 victory over Swain County on Saturday in the Class 1-AA North Carolina High School Athletic Association championship game.
Walker, the game MVP, gave Southwest Onslow (14-1) an early 6-0 lead with his long touchdown run on the first play from scrimmage.
Then, after Swain County (15-1) had closed to 16-13 on Raymius Smith's 79-yard touchdown pass to Greg Tishow, Walker returned the opening kickoff of the second half for a score.
Shak Pershey rushed for 140 yards and two touchdowns, covering 49 and 1 yards, while Southwest Onslow teammate DaMonta Winbush had 123 yards rushing and a 10-yard score and returned a late kickoff 42 yards for a TD.
Smith was 22 of 35 for 426 yards and two touchdowns for Swain County, and rushed for two more TDs.
- Michelle Obama fires up North Carolina crowd for Hillary Clinton
- Updated Wildlife sanctuary searches for owl lost duirng Hurricane Matthew
- Updated Dems can't get enough of FLOTUS -- and Clinton knows it
- Updated Haley 'not a fan' but will vote for Trump
- Updated Trump in 2011: Hillary Clinton 'did probably as much as anybody' for the black community