The Pitt Community College softball program will make its third national championship appearance next month, after winning the Region X Conference/District I Tournament today in Aiken, S.C. The Bulldogs broke a 3-3 tie with Spartanburg Methodist College in the top of the seventh, when sophomore shortstop Cassie Harrell reached first on an infield single to the shortstop with the bases loaded and one out. Brooke Bell beat the throw home on the play to make it 4-3 Bulldogs.
Freshman pitcher Jaimee Radel, who is from Swansboro, worked a 1-2-3 seventh to close out the victory for PCC, which will make its third national championship appearance under head coach Junior Bailey next month in St. George, Utah. The first round of the national junior college tourney gets underway May 15.
- Updated Trent Woods road closing for repairs starting Sept. 6
- Updated Man arrested in Greenville on drug possession charges
- Updated Badges save officers struck by bullets
- New Bern Shrine Club holding donation drive for Louisiana flood victims
- Greenville completes Watershed Masterplan study to address drainage needs