CHARLOTTE - Carolina coach Ron Rivera says the Panthers have agreed to trade three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason to the New York Giants.
Rivera says the trade is contingent on Beason passing a physical with the Giants.
Beason was benched prior to Carolina's 38-0 win over the Giants on Sept. 22 and broached the topic of wanting to play more with Rivera on Thursday.
Rivera says Friday: "The trade benefits both the team and Jon. We'll obviously get something out of it and it gives Jon an opportunity to get on the field."
Rivera wouldn't say what the Panthers will receive from the Giants in return for Beason.
Beason had microfracture surgery last October and looked slow in his first two starts. Chase Blackburn, a former Giant, replaced Beason in the lineup.
- One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating