RALEIGH - The NC State quarterback situation is a lot clearer this week. Pete Thomas is now the undisputed starter because Brandon Mitchell is out with a broken foot. And New Bern's Josh Taylor is now third on the depth chart.
Coach Dave Doeren said Monday that Mitchell will be out "for a substantial amount of time." The coach says Mitchell had surgery Sunday and now "it's just a matter of healing time."
Thomas is listed on the depth chart as the starter and behind him are a pair of freshmen - Bryant Shirreffs and Josh Taylor. Taylor is a true freshman walk-on who played in the season opening win over Louisiana Tech. Taylor had one rush for no gain and on incomplete pass.
Mitchell beat Thomas out during preseason camp but lasted only three series before he broke a bone in his left foot during the first quarter.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend