RALEIGH - Dave Doeren is leaving Northern Illinois to take over at North Carolina State.
N.C. State announced Doeren's hiring Saturday - less than 24 hours after he guided the 19th-ranked Huskies to their second consecutive Mid-American Conference championship, and just six days after the Wolfpack fired Tom O'Brien.
Doeren claimed a MAC title both years he has been a head coach and is 23-4 since taking over the Huskies before the 2011 season with a 17-1 record in conference play.
N.C. State athletic director Debbie Yow calls Doeren "a highly motivated overachiever."
Doeren - who turns 41 on Monday - replaces O'Brien, who was fired following six inconsistent seasons and no Atlantic Coast Conference title-game appearances with the Wolfpack.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend