MOUNT OLIVE - Mount Olive held on to the top spot in this week's Collegiate Baseball NCAA Division II Top 30 Baseball Poll after pushing its record to 6-0 with a weekend sweep of Newberry.
Mount Olive used all its resources to extend its winning streak. In Saturday's doubleheader, the Trojans used three solo homers and strong performances from Matt Dillon and Zach Bernard in the opener, then took advantage of Newberry's defensive lapses and 11 hits of their own in a 16-1 rout. On Sunday, the Trojans rallied for four runs in the bottom of the ninth to complete the sweep 6-5.
The Trojans received 476 votes, eight more than second place Delta State.
The Trojans return to action Wednesday when Shaw University travels to Scarborough Field for a 2 p.m. start. On Saturday, the Trojans begin a three-game series with no. 24 LeMoyne at Scarborough Field. The teams will play a pair on Saturday beginning at 2 p.m.. The series concludes Sunday with a single game at 1 p.m.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Updated Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction