NEW BERN - Former New Bern and UNC linebacker Kevin Reddick, and former West Craven and UNC wide receiver Erik Highsmith sat around all day Saturday waiting to hear their names called in the NFL draft. Neither was chosen, but then their phones lit up with suitors.
Reddick chose the New Orleans Saints over the Jacksonville Jaguars, and has agreed to a free agent deal. Highsmith is signing with the Minnesota Vikings and will join former UNC teammate Travis Bond (Bertie County) who was drafted in the 7th round.
Reddick, who led New Bern to the 2007 4-A state championship said "I'm blessed to have the opportunity, they are a nasty team. I'm a nasty guy myself, so I am happy to get to join an organization where I can add more nasty. They are a great team and they win championships and win games. And coach Rob Ryan called me himself and told me he wanted me."
Reddick and Highsmith were roommates in Chapel Hill, now they go their separate ways this week to start their pro careers.
- Updated On Mexico trip, Trump leaves press stranded
- Updated Supreme Court refuses to restore voter ID, reduce early voting days
- Updated Infantry training building aboard Camp Geiger named for fallen Marine
- Updated Lara Trump visits Eastern North Carolina to support father in law
- Updated Preparations for first ECU home game underway