NEW BERN, Craven County - A former high school football coach in our area has passed away.
Kemp Ewing, who had stops at East Carteret, J.H. Rose and started the program at South Central died Monday at age 47. A family friend told NewsChannel 12's Brian North that Ewing died after complications from a heart transplant.
Kemp had been battling health issues for the past several years and received a heart transplant 10 days ago but had complications from that transplant. Before that, in 2013, he had a Left Ventricular Assist Device implanted.
Ewing led the Falcons from 2003-06. Before that, he was an assistant coach at J.H. Rose High School, where he also served as softball coach. The Durham native and East Carolina University graduate coached at East Carteret from 2007-2011.
A memorial service is planned for Saturday at 1 p.m. at South Central High School.
- Sneads Ferry residents answer call to help for Christmas
- Updated Members of ECU basketball team visit Vidant children's hospital
- Local father charged with death of 9-month old daughter
- Organization pays holiday travel expenses for Purple Heart recipients
- Greenville Police distribute 100 meals to needy families in area