GREENVILLE - East Carolina coach Ruffin McNeill says former starting quarterback Rio Johnson is transferring.
McNeill said Monday that Johnson left on good terms because he "was disappointed that he wasn't getting the chance to play."
Johnson began the year as the Pirates' starter but hasn't played since the Week 2 loss at South Carolina.
Shane Carden took over during the second half of that game and has started the past eight games for East Carolina (6-4, 5-1 Conference USA).
Johnson was 46 of 72 for 435 yards with two touchdowns and four interceptions. The junior has one year of eligibility remaining.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- A state politician voicing concerns over the Whitewater Center reopening following amoeba death
- Syria barrel bomb attack: At least 16 killed at wake in Aleppo