GREENVILLE - East Carolina rising sophomore Jeff Hoffman is one of 42 players named to participate in the 2012 Cape Cod Baseball League All-Star game, which will be held Saturday, July 28 at Whitehouse Field in Harwich, Mass. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m. (EDT).
<P>Hoffman, who earned Conference USA All-Freshman Team honors last season, owns a 2-1 record in six games (five starts) for the Hyannis Harbor Hawks. He has allowed 10 runs (eight earned) on 21 hits and has recorded 30 strikeouts to just 10 walks in 30.0 innings. Heading into the all-star break, Hoffman ranks among the league leaders in ERA (eighth), innings pitched (t-9th) and total strikeouts (t-19th).
<P>After starting the season 0-1 through his first four appearances, the Latham, N.Y. native has won his last two starts allowing four runs (all earned) on nine hits with 17 punch outs and four walks in 13 innings. Against Brewster on July 13, he tossed seven scoreless frames with a season-high nine strikeouts in an 11-0 victory. Hoffman followed that with an eight-strikeout performance against Wareham on July 20 in the Harbor Hawks 6-4 win.
<P>Hoffman is one of three players from Conference USA participating in the mid-summer classic as he joins Mason Robbins (Southern Miss) and Aaron Blair (Marshall).
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend