GREENVILLE - This is a news release from East Carolina University:
For the third time this season, East Carolina junior Shane Carden has been named Conference USA Offensive Player-of-the-Week following his record-setting performance in the Pirates 58-24 win over Tulsa.
Carden, who accounted for a school-record seven touchdowns, matched a program standard (and tied his career high) with five TD passes and rushed for two more scores. He tossed scoring strikes of 28, 18, 5, 25 and 5 yards to four different receivers to push his season and career totals to 24 and 47, respectively, and reached the end zone on a pair of one-yard runs. In all, he completed 34-of-50 passes for 384 yards against the Golden Hurricane - his 10th career effort of 300 yards or more (sixth this season).
The Houston, Texas native converted all six red zone opportunities (5 TDs, 1 FG) and has now cashed in 90-of-99 visits inside the 20-yard line as ECU's starter. Fifteen of his 34 completions went for 10 or more yards as he directed a Pirate offense that turned in their fourth 500-plus-yard outing of the season (505).
In addition to his league honor, Carden has also garnered the following weekly honors:
- Capital One Cup Impact Performance Nominee (second time this season)
- College Football Performance Awards (CFPA) National Performer-of-the-Week (second time this season)
- College Sports Madness C-USA Player-of-the-Week (fourth time this season)
- Honorable Mention Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Player-of-the-Week (two-time POW selection)
- Manning Award Stars-of-the-Week (second time this season)
- NFL.com Top Collegiate Quarterback for Week 11
The Pirates (7-2, 5-1) will play host to C-USA East Division foe UAB (2-7, 1-4) in the regular season home finale this Saturday, Nov. 16. Kickoff is slated for 2 p.m.
- One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating