GREENVILLE - Turnover-prone East Carolina says sophomore Shane Carden will start at quarterback this week at Southern Mississippi.
Coach Ruffin McNeill made the announcement Monday.
Junior Rio Johnson won a four-man battle that lasted through preseason camp and started the first two games, but threw three interceptions last week in a 48-10 loss at then-No. 9 South Carolina.
Carden replaced him in the third quarter, and after his first throw was picked off, he finished 12 of 18 for 140 yards with the team's lone touchdown.
McNeill says he has always considered Carden a starter and says he's a slightly better runner than Johnson is.
Johnson was 18 of 29 for 193 yards against the Gamecocks.
- Updated Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend