GREENSBORO - Duke is the favorite to win the expanded Atlantic Coast Conference, though new member Syracuse has the preseason player of the year in C.J. Fair.
The Blue Devils earned 50 of 54 first-place votes from media members at the league's "ACC Operation Basketball media day Wednesday. Syracuse - which joins the ACC along with Pittsburgh and Notre Dame from the reconfigured Big East - was picked second, while North Carolina was picked third.
Virginia was picked fourth, followed by Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Boston College, Florida State, North Carolina State, Georgia Tech, reigning champion Miami, Wake Forest, Clemson and Virginia Tech.
In addition, Duke freshman Jabari Parker was picked as preseason rookie of the year.
This will be Maryland's final year in the league before leaving for the Big Ten.
- Updated Mercedes-Benz unveils first pickup truck
- Updated Women now drink nearly as much alcohol as men, study finds
- Updated Eight more local counties among 13 additional to receive Disaster Food Assistance
- New One of two workers to die in Boston trench collapse from New Bern
- Updated Trump warns of World War III if Clinton is elected