GREENSBORO - Duke is the favorite to win the expanded Atlantic Coast Conference, though new member Syracuse has the preseason player of the year in C.J. Fair.
The Blue Devils earned 50 of 54 first-place votes from media members at the league's "ACC Operation Basketball media day Wednesday. Syracuse - which joins the ACC along with Pittsburgh and Notre Dame from the reconfigured Big East - was picked second, while North Carolina was picked third.
Virginia was picked fourth, followed by Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Boston College, Florida State, North Carolina State, Georgia Tech, reigning champion Miami, Wake Forest, Clemson and Virginia Tech.
In addition, Duke freshman Jabari Parker was picked as preseason rookie of the year.
This will be Maryland's final year in the league before leaving for the Big Ten.
- Havelock PD seeks person of interest in club stabbing
- Seven Springs man ends up in ICU after fight with detention officers
- Suspects in animal cruelty case to appear in court Monday
- National Boat Safety Week encourages safety in the water
- Pitt County NAACP to hold meeting to discuss families, mental health