Newport native and former West Carteret High School star Lonnie Chisenhall has signed a one year contract with the Cleveland Indians. He is one of 11 players to sign one year deals with the organization.
The Indians also signed former K-Tribers Tim Fedroff and T.J. House. As well as right-handers Cody Allen, Trey Haley, Corey Kluber, Zach McAllister, Danny Salazar and Bryan Shaw, and infielder Chris McGuiness. And outfielder Michael Brantley.
Michael Brantley will start in left field following the team's signing of free agent center fielder Michael Bourn. He resumes workouts Thursday after he was spiked last week during an exhibition game and needed 15 stitches. Manager Terry Francona said Brantley could be playing in games by this weekend.
All the signed players have less than three years of major league experience and are not eligible for salary arbitration.
- Updated Amanda Knox documentary takes media to task
- Updated Obama waits impatiently for Bill Clinton on Air Force One
- Ryder Cup: Europe cuts US lead on opening day at Hazeltine
- Wells Fargo made me work overtime -- without extra pay
- Rangers officially complete purchase of Kinston franchise from Minor League Baseball