Newport native and former West Carteret High School star Lonnie Chisenhall has signed a one year contract with the Cleveland Indians. He is one of 11 players to sign one year deals with the organization.
The Indians also signed former K-Tribers Tim Fedroff and T.J. House. As well as right-handers Cody Allen, Trey Haley, Corey Kluber, Zach McAllister, Danny Salazar and Bryan Shaw, and infielder Chris McGuiness. And outfielder Michael Brantley.
Michael Brantley will start in left field following the team's signing of free agent center fielder Michael Bourn. He resumes workouts Thursday after he was spiked last week during an exhibition game and needed 15 stitches. Manager Terry Francona said Brantley could be playing in games by this weekend.
All the signed players have less than three years of major league experience and are not eligible for salary arbitration.
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms