LA GRANGE, Lenoir County - A fire started at a home near La Grange at the same time authorities arrived at the home next door and started a standoff with the veteran who lived there, according to Lenoir County Sheriff Ronnie Ingram.
Ingram said both incidents started at approximately 4 p.m. on Thursday on Paul's Path Road outside of La Grange in Lenoir County. It's not yet clear if the two are related, but Ingram said that is being investigated. SWAT was called in after the veteran, who was being served with involuntary commitment papers, allegedly made statements that he was a danger to himself and others. Ingram said the veteran had guns in his home.
Authorities were eventually able to talk to the man on the phone and get him to stand down. He was then taken to the hospital.
At the same time as the standoff, the home next door was on fire. But due to the standoff, firefighters were held back from the scene. By the time they could begin fighting the fire, the home was destroyed.
- Updated Flint water crisis likely the cause of deadly Legionnaires outbreak
- Updated Paul Ryan: I don't want to work with Democrats on health care
- Updated Oxford University to display more portraits of women in bid for diversity
- Updated Putin slams US election meddling claims as 'lies'
- How the Red Sox stadium upgrade revamped Boston neighborhood