The James Kenan Tigers had only played one close game all season before Friday's battle with Union and you had to wonder what the Tigers would do if the Spartans jumped out to a lead.

The Tigers scored first early in the second quarter.

The Spartans answered right back with a bubble screen that went for nearly 50 yards for a touchdown.

The Union got the ball back inside their own 10 before Dezmond Faison would break one for 93 yards to give the Spartans a 14-7 lead.

On the ensuing kickoff Union tried an onside kick and it appeared as if the Tigers came up with it in a series of fumbles.

The officials took nearly 5 minutes to rule that Union had in fact retained possession and the Tiger bench erupted.

Coach Ken Avent was trying to plead his case with the officials at midfield when Union Coach Doug Burley walked out toward the group. 

Avent became so upset his players had to keep him away from Burley who continued to point and talk in Avent's direction.

Once things calmed down the Spartans did take possession and drove down the field before missing a long range field goal.

Union led 14-7 at the half.

The second half was all Tigers as they scored 21 points to advance to the third round with a 28-14 victory.

Marcellas Sutton had 178 yards rushing and Jacquan Williams added 151 on the ground.

They will host Red Springs in the quarterfinals.

Ayden-Grifton 20  SW Onslow 41

The Stallions had no problem dispatching the Chargers with their running game on a foggy night at the Corral 41-20.

Next up for Southwest will be #3 seed Goldsboro in round 3.

Kinston 14  Tarboro 48

Quentin Roberson helped set up a Travonne Marshall touchdown to get the scoring started for Tarboro.

Radja Bobbitt also had a score for the home team. 

VeQuain Joyner hit Qwari Ham for a 30 yard touchdwon strike but is wasn't enough to keep up with the purple people eaters and Tarboro wins it 48-14.

They will host Northeastern next week.

Southside 6  Plymouth 60

The Vikings cruised past the Seahawks for the second time this year with a 60-6 victory.

Next up for Plymouth is a rematch with Manteo in the quarterfinals.

Jones Senior 17  Rosewood 42