NEW BERN - A crowd of approximately 200 supporters turned out Thursday night to help wounded warriors get home to see their loved ones for Christmas.
The supporters at New Bern Country Club heard about 30 warriors tell their stories of injury in war and recovering in rehab at Camp Lejeune.
Supporters paid $30 each to help reach a goal of $320,000 to get the base's 399 wounded warriors home for the holidays.
Local members of the Military Order of Purple Heart started the annual fundraising event seven years ago.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- New Bus driver charged in Greenville Boulevard crash that killed man