NEW BERN - A crowd of approximately 200 supporters turned out Thursday night to help wounded warriors get home to see their loved ones for Christmas.
The supporters at New Bern Country Club heard about 30 warriors tell their stories of injury in war and recovering in rehab at Camp Lejeune.
Supporters paid $30 each to help reach a goal of $320,000 to get the base's 399 wounded warriors home for the holidays.
Local members of the Military Order of Purple Heart started the annual fundraising event seven years ago.
- Updated Supreme Court refuses to restore voter ID, reduce early voting days
- Updated FSU football player wins hearts sharing lunch
- Updated Camp Lejeune reports death of Marine in Beulaville
- Updated NFL clears three more players in PEDs investigation
- Updated Kratom to join heroin, LSD on Schedule I drug list