CAMP LEJEUNE, ONSLOW COUNTY - Women are about to break another barrier in the military services.
By the year's end, a half dozen women are expected to become the first assigned to a Riverine combat company, a battlefront Navy job that is just now opening up to women.
The three Riverine Delta Company units are used for combat operations, often called on to move quickly into shallow waters where they can insert forces for raids or conduct rescue missions.
The Delta Company jobs are some of the first combat positions in the military to formally be opened to women.
The military services are struggling to figure out how to move women into battlefront jobs, including infantry, armor and elite commando positions.
They have until Jan. 1, 2016, to open as many jobs as possible to women.
- Updated Big reward offered in local breaking and entering case
- Updated Scientists discover coin-sized night frogs in India
- Updated SpaceX aborts space station docking
- New Doctor says coyote followed him into work
- Divisive rhetoric from leaders like Trump, Duterte threatens human rights, Amnesty says