CAMP LEJEUNE, ONSLOW COUNTY - Women are about to break another barrier in the military services.
By the year's end, a half dozen women are expected to become the first assigned to a Riverine combat company, a battlefront Navy job that is just now opening up to women.
The three Riverine Delta Company units are used for combat operations, often called on to move quickly into shallow waters where they can insert forces for raids or conduct rescue missions.
The Delta Company jobs are some of the first combat positions in the military to formally be opened to women.
The military services are struggling to figure out how to move women into battlefront jobs, including infantry, armor and elite commando positions.
They have until Jan. 1, 2016, to open as many jobs as possible to women.
- Updated NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Updated Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew