JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - She has a bright smile, a bubbly personality, and a passion for animals.
Kaila Smith, of Jacksonville, has cystic fibrosis. But she's taking part in clinical trials for a drug called Kalydeco -- the first medicine to treat the underlying cause of CF.
NewsChannel 12's Valentina Wilson reports on Kaila's progress. Click on the video player above to watch.
Kaila has been going to the annual Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Telethon in New Bern since she was a baby. To learn more about the telethon, which will be hosted by NewsChannel 12 on Saturday starting at 6:30 p.m., CLICK HERE.
- Updated WCTI's Anna Bulszewicz announces she's leaving the anchor desk
- Updated Pence tries for damage control abroad but allies still wary
- Updated Investigation underway after teen shot in New Bern
- Updated Border Patrol shooting of Mexican goes to Supreme Court
- Updated Israeli soldier sentenced in Palestinian killing