JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - She has a bright smile, a bubbly personality, and a passion for animals.
Kaila Smith, of Jacksonville, has cystic fibrosis. But she's taking part in clinical trials for a drug called Kalydeco -- the first medicine to treat the underlying cause of CF.
NewsChannel 12's Valentina Wilson reports on Kaila's progress. Click on the video player above to watch.
Kaila has been going to the annual Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Telethon in New Bern since she was a baby. To learn more about the telethon, which will be hosted by NewsChannel 12 on Saturday starting at 6:30 p.m., CLICK HERE.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Updated One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend