CARTERET COUNTY - Marines aboard the Pedro helicopter rescued a pregnant woman who had gone into labor while she was stranded on the Newport River in Carteret County.
The woman and several others were aboard a small boat, a Carolina Skiff-style vessel, when the boat got stuck during low tide, a fire official said.
Morehead City Fire Department rescuers were dispatched to the scene, approximately three miles west of Beaufort, at approximately 2 p.m., the fire official said.
The firefighters' boat could not immediately get to the group because of the low tide.
When they did reach the boat, the woman was in labor, the fire official said.
Firefighters brought the woman aboard their boat, and waited for the Marine rescue helicopter Pedro to arrive.
When Pedro got to the scene, crews hoisted the woman into the helicopter and took her to Carteret General Hospital.
No injuries were reported.
- Updated China: Japanese military jets using 'dangerous' tactics
- Pipeline protesters forced back after 141 arrested
- WikiLeaks reveals campaign vexed by 'Bill Clinton Inc.'
- The Cubs and Indians get ready to battle it out in Game 3 of The World Series
- Early voting update: More than 12.6 million votes cast