RALEIGH - Police in Raleigh say a woman was shot and killed in the parking lot of a shopping center as she arrived at work, and the body of a man with a self-inflicted gunshot wound was later found nearby.
Deputy Police Chief Cassandra Brown said the woman worked at a store at Cameron Village. Her identity hasn't been released.
Workers at a nearby store said they saw a man and woman in the parking lot. The workers said they went inside their shop and heard six bangs that they thought were firecrackers.
Nearby schools were placed on lockdown as a precaution.
Four hours later, police responded to a second shooting behind a business on Wade Avenue. Police said the man was wearing clothing matching a description they received after the shooting.
- Updated Manchester Arena attack: ISIS claims blast that killed 22 at Ariana Grande concert
- Updated Craven County teenager facing rape and kidnapping charges
- Pamlico County man bitten by Lone Star Tick talks about struggles
- Jacksonville couple facing felony animal cruelty charges
- Residents call foul on geese carnage