FOUNTAIN - A 26-year-old Fountain man was arrested Friday afternoon for allegedly shooting his girlfriend six times on the 3400 block of Best Dr.
Police said Malcolm King shot 38-year-old Latasha Battle with a .22 caliber handgun after arguing with Battle in her apartment.
King then ran away from the scene on foot into the woods. He was caught a short time later on US Highway 258 with the help of the Pitt County Sheriff's K-9 unit.
King has been charged with attempted first degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon.
Chief Didley with Fountain police said they have never responded to the home before. King does not have a criminal history.
In the 911 tape released by Pitt County dispatch, Battle ran to her neighbor's home asking for someone to call 911. On the tape, Battle complained of injuries to her chest and jaw.
King is being held in the Pitt County Detention Center under a $1,000,000 bond. His next court date is scheduled for August 9th.
- Updated Predicted rainy forecast forces high schools to move more games
- Updated Poll: Clinton favorability slides to equal Trump
- Updated Inequality is widening, even in real estate
- Updated Landmark US commercial flight lands in Cuba
- Updated Donald Trump to deliver highly anticipated immigration speech following Mexico visit