HALIFAX, N.C. - The North Carolina Highway Patrol says a Roanoke Rapids woman has been struck and killed by a pickup truck while walking on an Interstate 95 exit ramp.
Troopers said 43-year-old Symanthia Pierce was trying to cross I-95 around 2 a.m. Saturday after her vehicle broke down when she was hit at Exit 171 by the truck.
Authorities say charges will not be filed against the pickup truck driver.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Uber CEO orders 'urgent' investigation after sex harassment allegations
- Updated Sheriff's Office searching for missing Greenville teen
- New Yorkers rally to say, 'Today I am a Muslim, too'
- Local businesses teaming up to feed hungry at Empty Bowls event
- Global arms trade hits highest level since end of Cold War