DUPLIN COUNTY - A woman died this weekend after she ran a stop sign and was hit by another vehicle, an official with the Highway Patrol said.
Troopers said Betsy Howard, 36, was driving a 2006 Kia when she ran a stop sign Saturday at the intersection of Burncoat and Bill Sutton roads in Duplin County.
Howard was hit by a 2004 Chevy Avalanche driven by 40-year-old Rene Saucedo, Troopers said.
Howard was taken to Lenoir Memorial Hospital where she died from her injuries.
Saucedo's wife was airlifted to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville with life-threatening injuries. Four juveniles were also taken to the hospital, one sustaining life-threatening injuries.
No charges are expected to be filed, Troopers said.
Condition reports of those injured are currently unavailable.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction