RALEIGH (WTVD) - Police are investigating a fatal accident involving a train at the crossing gate on Blount Street near Hammond Road, which is just south of Downtown Raleigh.
Police said 42-year-old Lynette Renee Fowler, of Fuquay-Varina, was killed. She was the only occupant of the vehicle that was struck by the train.
Video from Chopper 11 HD showed an Amtrak train near the scene of a crumpled SUV, which came to rest against the side of a building owned by Cargrill.
Company officials said there were flammable materials near the area where the SUV struck the building, but those materials were not compromised.
Amtrak said the train involved was the Carolinian, which was traveling from New York to Charlotte with 168 people on board.
No one was injured on the train. It resumed its route to Charlotte around 8 p.m.
(Copyright ©2013 WTVD-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
For more information, visit WTVD
- New Rousseff's impeachment trial opens in Brazil
- Updated Navy surprises ailing WWII veteran at his home
- Updated Here's what happened to AIDS drug that spiked 5,000%
- Accused Pitt Co. murder suspect officially charged with murder of three children
- Greenville Fire & Rescue classifies overnight fire as intentional