A Pitt County woman was sentenced for killing her infant son.
Sandy Kay Etheridge, 30, will spend nearly 8 years in prison, according to the Daily Reflector. She pleaded guilty in late June to voluntary manslaughter.
Etheridge violently shook her 10-week-old son, Dakota Chase Etheridge, in their home on Amanda Court in Greenville, investigators said. That happened in March, 2010. Three months later, the child died from brain injuries.
Etheridge claimed she may have picked up her baby without supporting his head.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County