WAYNE COUNTY - A mother was found dead after a mobile home fire in Wayne County Monday morning, but her 12-year-old son survived, investigators said.
The Wayne County Sheriff's Office said the fire happened at the Bass Lake Mobile Home Park at 138 Bass Lake Dr., about 5 miles northeast of Mt. Olive. Neighbors said the blaze started at about 7 a.m. Monday.
According to Maj. Tom Effler of the Sheriff's Office, one woman was found dead in the mobile home after the fire. But the victim's identity will not be released until family members are notified. Her exact cause of death is also unknown.
A 12-year-old did escape the fire and was treated for minor injuries at a hospital, Effler said. The child is the deceased woman's son, said Marc Anderson, a pastor who lives nearby,
Anderson said the fire engines woke him up.
"I looked out of the front door and saw the smoke billowing out of the trailer," Anderson recalled. "It doesn't take but a moment for your whole world to change in a tragedy like this. What we're trying to do right now is to pray for the family and get things back to somewhat normal."
The Wayne County Sheriff's Office is working with the State bureau of Investigation to determine the cause of the fire.
- Updated Mercedes-Benz unveils first pickup truck
- Updated Women now drink nearly as much alcohol as men, study finds
- Updated Eight more local counties among 13 additional to receive Disaster Food Assistance
- New One of two workers to die in Boston trench collapse from New Bern
- Updated Trump warns of World War III if Clinton is elected