MAURY, GREENE COUNTY - The Greene County Sheriff's Office said a woman tried to smuggle drugs and other items into a prison.
Sheriff Lemmie Smith said Pamela Michele Starling was seen putting a large bag into a trash can at the front gate house of the Maury Correctional Institution at about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. The bag had loose tobacco, rolling papers, a cell phone and marijuana, investigators said.
Responding deputies found Starling still on scene and arrested her. The 39-year-old from Asheboro is charged with possession of a controlled substance on prison premises and possession with intent to sell or deliver marijuana.
Starling received a $15,000 bond and is out on bond.
- New Eyewitness claims woman threw kittens from moving car
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn