GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - Police have charged a woman accused of embezzling thousands of dollars from a psychiatric practice in Greenville.
Detectives with the Greenville Police Department arrested Shannon Castelloe Layne, of Williamston, Thursday on two counts of embezzlement and one count of obtaining property by false pretense.
According to investigators Layne was working as an office manager at Greenville Psychiatric Associates until July 24, 2013.
But the practice conducted an internal audit, which revealed that Layne converted cash from deposits and stole checks, police said. In all, $12,214.54 were stolen between September 2012 and July 2013, investigators said.
At last check, Layne was being held at the Pitt County Detention Center under a $5,000 bond.
- Updated Volkswagen agrees to compensate US dealers over emissions scandal
- Updated Lochte's presence is desired by Brazilian authorities
- Updated Heroin seizure a 'substantial' dent in opioid epidemic
- Updated Jimmy Carter, rebuilding after cancer
- New Binghamton University: 'Stop White People' event was 'ironic'