JONES COUNTY - Investigators have identified the man killed in a head-on crash near Pollocksville Thursday afternoon.
According to the Highway Patrol, Kim Walton Westbrooke of Jacksonville was killed in the wreck on Highway 17 near Lee Chapel Road. That's about 2-and-a-half miles south of Pollocksville.
The accident happened at about 12:50 p.m. Thursday.
According to the Highway Patrol, witnesses reported seeing Westbrooke driving his station wagon erratically. The station wagon then crossed the center line and hit a pickup truck head-on, troopers said.
Westbrooke died and the person in the truck was airlifted to Vidant Medical Center, said investigators.
Family members of the man who was driving the truck, identify the survivor as Guy Christopher Simmons of Pollocksville. As of Thursday night, Vidant Medical Center listed him in good condition.
Family members of Simmons are thankful he's alive.
"There are always wrecks on US-17," said Doris Jones, sister of the survivor. "I'm just sorry that the other person got killed. I'm just happy that my brother is fine."
The cause of the wreck is under investigation.
Highway 17 at Lee Chapel Road was closed in both directions after the wreck, but was re-opened at about 2:30 p.m.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- State natural, cultural sites and military discounts for Memorial Day