WILMINGTON - A man was arrested for an armed robbery attempt that left a man with gunshot wounds, police said.
Davonte Baskerville, 19, was taken into custody Friday. Police said last Saturday, at about 1 a.m., Baskerville attempted to rob a man he knew at gunpoint. When Baskerville approached the victim, the suspect allegedly attempted to empty the victim's pockets. According to officers, when the victim pushed Baskerville off, the suspect shot him in the chest. The two then made it to the ground and started to fight, police said. Baskerville allegedly then hit the victim with the gun and ran away.
Baskerville faced several charges; robbery with a dangerous weapon, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and two counts on failure to appear on prior charges.
Baskerville was being held in the New Hanover Detention Center on a $502,000 bond.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms