CRYSTAL COAST - We've been contacted by a number of viewers about a large object spotted off the Crystal Coast. We made some calls to find out what it is.
A U.S. Coast Guard spokesperson tells us the large object, which some viewers described being as large as an oil rig, is actually a liftboat. Viewer Ron Butler sent us the image above.
The liftboat is currently parked off the Crystal Coast and will not be moving until the end of this week.
It's port of call is somewhere on the gulf side of Florida.
According to Levingston Offshore, which builds liftboats, a liftboat is a self-propelled, multi-purpose, self-elevating vessel. Liftboats are commonly used to perform maintenance on oil and gas well platforms. A liftboat also has the capability of rapidly raising its hull clear of the water on its own legs so as to provide a stable platform from which maintenance and construction work may be conducted.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Pence: Trump is 'a CEO at work' on immigration
- A state politician voicing concerns over the Whitewater Center reopening following amoeba death