JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - The sign of a Wendy's restaurant in Jacksonville caught fire Tuesday.
It happened at the Wendy's at 1995 N. Marine Blvd. in Jacksonville at about 12:34 p.m. Tuesday. (Viewer Victor Mendoza sent in the above photo.)
According to the Jacksonville Department of Public Safety, the fire started at the base of the sign, igniting a vinyl wrap.
"The sign materials made up of plastic emitted a large amount of smoke, which could be seen for some distance," said Fire Operations Division Chief Jerry Hardison.
Despite the heavy smoke, crews contained the blaze in less than two minutes.
"The preliminary investigation shows the probable cause as discarded smoking materials, " said Assistant City Fire Marshall Shaun Hayes.
Damage was estimated at about $6,000, officials said. No injuries were reported and the restaurant continued operations as normal.
- Updated Amanda Knox documentary takes media to task
- Updated Obama waits impatiently for Bill Clinton on Air Force One
- Ryder Cup: Europe cuts US lead on opening day at Hazeltine
- Wells Fargo made me work overtime -- without extra pay
- Rangers officially complete purchase of Kinston franchise from Minor League Baseball