CARTERET COUNTY - A planned burn scheduled Saturday for part of the Croatan National Forest is cancelled because of weather conditions.
James Cherry, district fire management officer, said the windy conditions are not desirable for a prescribed burn.
The prescribed burn was scheduled to take place off Highway 24 and Pringle road in Carteret County. The location is near a wildfire that broke out earlier this week. That wildfire is 100% contained as of Tuesday, but Cherry said crews are still monitoring some hot spots in the area.
Cherry said the prescribed burn may be rescheduled for Sunday, if weather permits.
According to the Forest Service, the controlled burn would reduce the amount of fuel on the forest floor and help prevent wildfires.
- Updated 'Pizzagate' shooting suspect pleads guilty
- Updated NFL seeking Thursday Night Football livestream partner
- Updated Extra security added to several Onslow County schools after alleged threat posted to social media
- Updated Investors yank $8.9 billion from US stocks
- Missing Tennessee student: School chief appeals for girl's safe return