N. TOPSAIL BEACH, ONSLOW COUNTY - A former deputy chief, who oversaw two fire departments in North Topsail Beach, has been charged with embezzling about $61,000.
On Thursday, the Department of Insurance Criminal Investigation charged 48-year-old George Frederick Moore III, of Lake Haven Dr. in Sneads Ferry, with four counts of embezzlement.
According to warrants, Moore took $61,000 that belonged to the Local Firefighters Relief Fund between Feb. 23, 2009 and March 8, 2012. He served as the relief fund's treasurer and trustee.
The purpose of the fund is to provide financial assistance to firefighters who have been injured or killed on the job. According to investigators, Moore withdrew money on 22 separate occasions for his personal use.
Moore was arrested on April 4 and was jailed on a $40,000 bond. He has since been released on bond.
District Attorney Ernie Lee says the North Carolina Department of Insurance's Criminal Investigation unit is involved in the case because the department handles the Firefighters' Relief Fund.
Lee says he became involved in the case late last month. He says yesterday was when he and investigators organized the warrant for Moore's arrest.
- Updated Bodies of more than 70 migrants wash up on Libya's coast
- Updated Residents evacuate after levee breach in California
- Updated Acupuncture shows promise in migraine treatment, study says
- Updated The 15 worst cities for rush hour traffic
- Updated Federer: Swiss star will play on until at least 2019