N. TOPSAIL BEACH, ONSLOW COUNTY - A former deputy chief, who oversaw two fire departments in North Topsail Beach, has been charged with embezzling about $61,000.
On Thursday, the Department of Insurance Criminal Investigation charged 48-year-old George Frederick Moore III, of Lake Haven Dr. in Sneads Ferry, with four counts of embezzlement.
According to warrants, Moore took $61,000 that belonged to the Local Firefighters Relief Fund between Feb. 23, 2009 and March 8, 2012. He served as the relief fund's treasurer and trustee.
The purpose of the fund is to provide financial assistance to firefighters who have been injured or killed on the job. According to investigators, Moore withdrew money on 22 separate occasions for his personal use.
Moore was arrested on April 4 and was jailed on a $40,000 bond. He has since been released on bond.
District Attorney Ernie Lee says the North Carolina Department of Insurance's Criminal Investigation unit is involved in the case because the department handles the Firefighters' Relief Fund.
Lee says he became involved in the case late last month. He says yesterday was when he and investigators organized the warrant for Moore's arrest.
- Body found along side of road in Jacksonville
- Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- Chocowinity soldier killed in action to be honored in NASCAR race
- Updated Tornado touches down in Sampson Co., warnings issued elsewhere
- Wood Ducks featured on Xfinity car for Charlotte race