GRIFTON, LENOIR COUNTY - A Kinston fire captain and reserve deputy was arrested for allegedly sharing child pornography.
Authorities said Thomas Taylor, Sr. was arrested at his Grifton home on Friday. Taylor is a 17 year fire captain with 26 years of service.
Thomas Taylor, Sr. has been charged with felony counts of peeping, possession of pornographic images, secretly using an image device, and disseminating images, officials said.
According to warrants obtained by NewsChannel 12, Taylor secretly installed a video camera to record a minor child, naked in her bedroom.
Lenoir County officials worked with the Department of Homeland Security to track down an IP address in connection with child pornography shared over the internet.
Taylor attempted to destroy evidence by throwing a laptop into a creek off Highway 58 North in Kinston, officials said. However, the computer was recovered and is being processed for evidence.
"It's never good to have to deal with people who are public servants, but regardless we treat everybody exactly the same," Chris Hill, Lenoir County Sheriff, said.
Taylor is being held at the Lenoir County Detention Center under a $35,000 bond.
- Updated 10,000 stinging wasps make colossal nest in English country house
- Updated Jury finds second suspect guilty of triple murder at Farmville store
- Updated 7 Memorable Presidential Debate Moments
- Updated Police: Man arrested and charged 29 years after alleged rape
- Clinton and Trump: Who's on the debate guest list