NEWPORT - The Carteret County Sheriff's Office has issued a warrant for the arrest of a convicted sex offender, for allegedly not reporting his new address.
John William Avery formerly lived on Lot #47 at 884 Roberts Road and 168 Mason Town Road in Newport, Carteret County.
Avery is accused of fleeing the state without notifying the Sheriff's Office of his new address, and is believed to be in New York.
The 32-year-old was originally placed on the sex offender registry in Carteret County after being convicted of indecent liberties with a child in 2003.
Avery was confined earlier this year in the Carteret County Jail for unrelated charges and was served with an additional warrant for allegedly accessing and utilizing a social networking site as a registered sex offender.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County