GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - A vigil is set to take place Wednesday night for a recent ECU graduate who was found dead along a Wake County highway.
The memorial for 23-year-old Weston Vandemerwe, of Apex, is scheduled to take place at 9 p.m. Wednesday outside ECU's Mendenhall Student Center, according to friends. A room inside the building has been reserved in case of bad weather.
Police said they discovered Vandemerwe's body along Interstate 40 near Hammond Road in Raleigh on Aug. 13. He was last seen at The Oxford bar in Raleigh on Saturday, Aug. 10 at about 1:30 a.m.
"I still don't really believe it," said Kyle Fulk, Vandemerwe's friend and fraternity brother at ECU. The two were members of Phi Kappa Tau together.
Police have not released a cause of Vandemerwe's death, but they said they are investigating the case as a hit-and-run. At last check, no arrest had been made.
- Updated Beauty school abruptly closes all 79 campuses
- Updated Come show your support at "Get Your Pink On" in New Bern
- New Woman charged with fatally shooting husband is expected in court
- Sewer repairs prompt partial road closure in Jacksonville
- Gary Johnson struggles to name a world leader he respects