GREENVILLE - A Tuesday vigil scheduled on the Pitt County Courthouse steps will remember the victims of the Friday shooting rampage at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school.
A gunman opened fire Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School, killing 20 children and six adults before shooting himself.
It is the second deadliest school shooting in United States, behind only the Virginia Tech 2007 massacre, in which 32 people died.
The candle light and prayer vigil, called "A Time for Prayers, Love and Unity," will be held at 6 p.m. on the steps of the Third Street side of the courthouse.
It is sponsored by the Pitt County chapter of the NAACP, and the group is encouraging pastors and church members, elected officials and community leaders, law enforcement, school officials, parents, students and all community members to take part.
For further information about the vigil, call 252-814-9076 or 252-227-3585.
Copyright to The Daily Reflector
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal