LAFITTE, La. - Tourists on a swamp boat tour in south Louisiana gasp as their guide jumps in the water to feed chicken and marshmallows to two alligators. At one point the guide puts a marshmallow in his mouth and lets one of the gators snatch it.
The scene was captured on video by Stacy Hicks of St. Helens, Oregon.
Hicks says she was surprised by the attention the video has received. It's been shared more than 100,000 times on Facebook.
It also has attracted attention of local and state wildlife officials.
There is no state law prohibiting luring and feeding of alligators, but it's against the law in Jefferson Parish, where the Airboat Adventures tour company is based.
The company has declined to comment.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal