BELHAVEN - The Town of Belhaven and the NAACP are suing the Vidant Hospital System over the closing of Vidant Pungo Hospital.
The group alleges that by closing the hospital, Vidant is discriminating against poor people and minorities.
Dr. William Barber with the NAACP says under the civil rights act of 1964, such a complaint could cost the hospital federal funds if it is found to be in violation.
- Updated Trent Woods road closing for repairs starting Sept. 6
- Updated Man arrested in Greenville on drug possession charges
- Updated Badges save officers struck by bullets
- New Bern Shrine Club holding donation drive for Louisiana flood victims
- Greenville completes Watershed Masterplan study to address drainage needs