BELHAVEN - The Town of Belhaven and the NAACP are suing the Vidant Hospital System over the closing of Vidant Pungo Hospital.
The group alleges that by closing the hospital, Vidant is discriminating against poor people and minorities.
Dr. William Barber with the NAACP says under the civil rights act of 1964, such a complaint could cost the hospital federal funds if it is found to be in violation.
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms