BERTIE COUNTY - We're learning more details about the man killed in a crash involving a tractor-trailer.
The incident happened Monday morning around 8:40 a.m. in Bertie County at the intersection of Highway 17 and Highway 45. That's northeast of Windsor. Trooper Reed with The Highway Patrol said a 2011 Toyota Avalon slammed through the bottom of an 18-wheeler, then veered into a wooded area where the car came to a stop.
The driver of the Avalon, Myron Burney, 38, of Raleigh did not survive the accident. It is not known whether the 18-wheeler driver, Robert Peele, 47, of Washington, suffered any injuries.
Burney was the interim assistant vice chancellor for enrollment management at Elizabeth City State University. "Please keep Myron's family in your prayers and thoughts. Death diminishes us all. Myron's death is a tragic loss for his family, the ECSU community, and human kind," said ECSU Chancellor Charles Becton.
The Highway Patrol asks you to call 252-332-6808, or 252-325-2847 if you were a witness to the accident, or know any information about this crash.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend