WASHINGTON, BEAUFORT COUNTY - The Washington Fire Department responded to a fatal fire early Wednesday morning.
The fire was reported at the Highland Apartments located in Beaufort County in the town of Washington off Harding Street, according to Chief Robbie Rose with the Washington Fire Department.
Crews were on scene around 12:30 a.m. and reported heavy flames from an upstairs apartment.
Crews did discover one fatality, said Chief Rose. He has been identified as 59-year-old Larry Dickerson.
We were told the area of the fire's origin was the living room in one of the apartments and it suffered major damage.
Neighbors said they could hear Dickerson's cry for help.
"They told me that they heard a guy pounding on the floor screaming, 'help me help me' and that was it. After a while he just stopped," neighbor Abbie Parker said.
Heat damage was also reported to an adjacent upstairs apartment, along with water damage reported in two lower units, said Chief Rose.
Four to five people have been displaced and the Red Cross has been called to help those victims.
- Updated Trump's special guests for congressional speech hint at a focus on immigration
- Updated Muhammad Ali's son says he was detained at airport because he's Muslim
- Updated Don't expect this Asian tech giant to do a high-profile meeting with Trump
- Updated Deputy al Qaeda leader killed In Syria
- Updated India's economy shrugs off cash crisis to post 7% growth